Description
The current complex was built in the late 14th century on a settlement of Benedictine monastic cells, of which documentation is available from 1025.
Inside, the Church of St. Antonio Abate holds two precious cycles of frescoes: the first, inside the presbytery, with scenes of the life of St. Anthony and was realised in the late 14th century by a team of painters identified with the collective name of Master of the Dormitio of Terni; the second cycle of frescoes, found inside the nun’s choir, depicts scenes of the Passion of Christ and is the work of Nicola da Siena.
The choir also contains the monumental wood sculpture of “Tobia and the Angel”, from the second half of the 15th century attributed to the workshop of Domenico Indivini. Inside the church, on the singing gallery of the counter-façade, is an important organ built in 1630 by organ maker Luca Neri from Leonessa.
Currently, the former convent of Sant’Antonio is part of the urban museum circuit of Cascia, together with the seat of Palazzo Santi.